Tuesday, May 12, 2015

5.12.15 - Bird Nerd Moment - Neighbor's front door - Yarmouth, MA

So I got a call from a neighbor whom I haven't heard from in a while.  It's funny... I don't ever remember discussing birds with her in the past, but she called with a question.  She has some birds nesting in a basket on one of her front doors... naturally the door she most often uses.  It was especially weird hearing from her because I'd been by her house when walking my dog to ask her a question, but no one ever answered when I knocked and/or rang the door bell.  I had tried to reach her by phone unsuccessfully, which is why I stopped by, and both times when I did, I noticed a pair of quite lively (1 female & 1 male) House Finches.  SO - when she called, I IMMEDIATELY said, "Oh, you've got a pair of House Finches nesting right there!!!"  I was more excited about the situation than she, and I assured her that it would be fine to use the other front door as an alternate until they fledge in a few weeks.  How perfect is it that she has a grand daughter who gets to experience each stage of this new life, starting in a quaint basket on a front door?  Pretty wonderful... (double click photos to enlarge)


Hanging basket of silk flowers on my neighbor's front door... but look more closely...

FIVE House Finch eggs!

Happy Birding!

No comments:

Post a Comment