Tuesday, October 14, 2014

10.14.14 - Cape Cod Museum of Natural History - Tuesday Tweets
John Wing Trail - Brewster, MA

It's kind of funny when you wrongfully assume you may not see or hear many birds due to the weather, which is what I did this morning. It's as if I had a reverse jinx on our walk today. It didn't hurt that even though it was cloudy at the start of our walk - it was warm, and that warm sunshine broke through.  Many Fish Crow sightings this morning which makes me happy every time!  Something the Tuesday Tweeters can smile about: when I was headed back to the museum, I bumped into Sue, who does the bird banding: Check out her beautiful blog:CapeCodBander.  We had heard an unusual song when we paused at the calendar on Wing Island, and Gretchen, who assists Sue said they'd seen Myrtle Warblers... 
Well, when I asked Sue about it, they were using the Myrtle Warbler call on their devices to lure other birds!!! So we DID hear that song - but it was probably not the actual bird.  Sigh...
(double click on photos below to enlarge)

Our List:
Black-capped Chickadee
White-breasted Nuthatch
House Sparrow
European Starling 
American Goldfinch
Great Blue Heron
American Crow
Downy Woodpecker (female)
Northern Flicker
Blue Jay
Coopers Hawk
Fish Crow (!!!)
Red-breasted Nuthatch

Song Sparrow
Tufted Titmouse
I feel guilty about the next one, because I saw them when I was just getting back to the museum... Cedar Waxwing (juveniles)

House Sparrow (male)

House Sparrow (female)

House Sparrow

House Sparrow (female)

House Sparrow (female) balancing in the marsh reeds

Northern Flicker silhouette in the distance - note the white rump

The boardwalk over the marsh to Wing Island

Welcoming trail


Staghorn Sumac, so pretty this time of year



Virginia creeper

Virginia creeper, creeping up the pitch pine
View of Cape Cod Museum of Natural History from the marsh

European Starling flock

Deciduous holly
 
Cedar Waxwing (juveniles) - sorry we didn't get to see them as a group!

Cedar Waxwing (juvenile)

Cedar Waxwing (juveniles)

Not sure why I love the moon so, but I do.
I'm still feeling guilty for spotting the Cedar Waxwings when I was just arriving back at the museum.  They weren't exactly posing for anyone, I was happy to get a tiny glimpse.  Next opportunity for Tuesday Tweets 10/28: $2Members/$4Non-members
Happy Birding!

No comments:

Post a Comment